The Empire Ranch had one of the first telephones in the area when a line was installed by 1890 between the ranch and the Pantano railroad town 45 miles north. Talented volunteer, John Weiss, refurbished and mounted a 1908 Kellogg candlestick telephone and Stromberg-Carlson Magneto Ringer (ca. 1894) in the Office (Room 11).
This equipment, which was probably used at the Los Encinos Guest Ranch in Sonoita, was donated by Frank Hedgcock,
ERF Advisory Committee member.