To learn more about the history of the Empire Ranch consult the print and web resources listed below:
General History of the Empire Ranch
- The Empire Ranch — A Special Story. Empire Ranch Foundation News. May 2002, 3(2):4.
- An Englishman’s Arizona: The Ranching Letters of Herbert R. Hislop, 1876-1878 introduction by Bernard L. Fontana. Overland Press, 1965. [available from libraries or out-of-print dealers]
- Empire Ranch by Gail Waechter Corkill and Sharon E. Hunt, Charleston, SC, Arcadia Publishing, 2011. Images of America series. [order from the Empire Ranch Foundation]
- Heart of the Empire. Historic Structure Report, Empire Ranch, Arizona by Laura Soulliere Harrison and Paul Niedenger, Volume 1, December 1992, revised 2020.
- Historic American Landscape Survey: Empire Ranch. Washington, DC, National Park Survey, 2016. HALS AZ-19.
- History of the Empire Ranch by Gregory Paul Dowell. Master’s Thesis, University of Arizona, 1978. Posted with permission of Gregory Paul Dowell.
- Journal of a Special Place from Ranch Land to Public Preserve text by Jan Barstad, photographs by Jerry Sieve. Arizona Highways September 1990, 66(9):4-13. Posted with permission of Arizona Highways.
- Diary of a Desert Trail: 1890 Cattle Drive from Arizona to California by Edward L. Vail. Sonoita, AZ: Empire Ranch Foundation, 2016. [Available from Amazon.com]
- The Empire Ranch and Walter L. Vail by John J. Wooley and Laurel Wilkening. The Copper State Journal 2002; 37 (4): 12-17. Permission to post being sought.
- Empire Ranch v. Southern Pacific Railroad, 1890. Empire Ranch Foundation News. May 2004, 5(2):3-4.
- The English Boys’ Outfit, Part 1 by Sinclair Browning. Empire Ranch Foundation News. Aug 2004, 5(3):5-6.
- The English Boys’ Outfit, Part 2 by Sinclair Browning. Empire Ranch Foundation News. Nov 2004, 5(4):5-6.
- Growing up a tomboy on the Empire Ranch, Part I by Betty Barr. The Bulletin, 13(20):1, 10, June 18, 2003. Posted with permission of Betty Barr.
- Growing up a tomboy on the Empire Ranch, Part II by Betty Barr. The Bulletin, 13(21):1, 8, June 25, 2003. Posted with permission of Betty Barr.
- May We Introduce… Mrs. John Harvey. Empire Ranch Foundation News. Aug 2010, 11(3):4.
- Santa Rosa Island Rancher Walter Vail Honored by National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum by Vail Family. Noozhawk, September 4, 2018.
- University of Arizona Library Special Collections, Online Exhibit “Remembering an Empire (digitized historical documents, photos, and maps, learning activities and resources for further study)
- Walter Vail by Betty Barr in More Hidden Treasures of Santa Cruz County Sonoita, AZ: BrockingJ Books, 2008, pp. 15-23. Posted with permission of Betty Barr.
- Boice family, Empire Ranch, Sonoita by Betty Barr in Hidden Treasures of Santa Cruz County, Sonoita, AZ: BrockingJ Books, 2006, pp. 166-170. Posted with permission of Betty Barr.
- Hereford Tradition of Arizona’s Boices by Richard G. Schaus. American Hereford Journal. 240-2,244,248,252-3,256,724-738, July 1959. Permission to post being sought.
- Ranching Heritage of the Boice Family. Empire Ranch Foundation News. Feb 2006, 7(1):4.
- Reflections from Sixty Years Ago… by Gerald Korte. Empire Ranch Foundation News. May 2005, 6(2):3.
- Desert Empire by Tammy LeRoy. Western Horseman 71(7):38-44, July 2006. Permission to post being sought.
- Donaldsons ranch with public looking over their shoulders by Colleen Schreiber. Livestock Weekly. Online Edition, April 18, 2002
- John Donaldson: A Generation of the Empire by Marion Hyland. The Bulletin, August 15, 2001. Posted with permission of The Bulletin.
- Profile of good stewardship: The Empire Ranch. The Quivara Coalition Newsletter. 2(4):10-12, 15, June 1999.
Library Collections with Empire Ranch Related Holdings
Arizona Historical Society Library and Archives
Special Collections, University of Arizona Library